Monday, April 10, 2006

Wow!! Chitwan is now the 'democratic zone', even though only for couple of hours. Once again, people of Chitwan, the 76th district of Nepal have risen and are taking control of the predominantly captial centric andolan. From the very beginning, by this I mean from February 1st coup, I have been very optimistic about the future of Nepal. I believed that, however ill-advised, ill-timed, ill-conceived, ill-executed, and ill-..., one good thing that coup brought about to the open was the ills inherent in the monarchies and the centralized authority. Society is too big and overwhelming for a single authority to root its problems out and if some 'charismatic' person comes and says 'I'll take care of all ills of the society and make everything right', then be careful. Because, I said, society is too big for one person and problems too multi-faceted for a single individual to handle. Problems are interconnected. Their solution demands trade-offs and most of the time, problems do not have any exact solution. We can only approximate the solution so that the problem do not become nuisance for too many people for too long.

I think I should stop now. It is easy to talk the talk than to walk the walk. But, no, I cannot. I have to talk. Time is running out. We have to think about how we want to shape the future of Nepal, what do we want it to look like after five years down the line. Do we want the same rudderless, lawless Nepal we had after 90's andolan? Or we want a systematic, law-abiding, politically conscious, equitable Nepal? I am for the latter. I have spent some time thinking on this matter and I will elaborate in my future posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home